I haven't ordered an iPhone 5 yet, but I thought I'd share my impressions for anyone who's interested now that I've had the chance to actually use one. Consumer response the the iPhone 5 is obviously off the charts. Apple sold 5 million of them over the weekend. Although I'm still not sure if I'll keep my 4S another year or upgrade, my hands-on time with the device makes a few things obvious.
- The build quality on this phone is better than anything Apple has ever made. You get the feeling of a luxury watch instead of a cell phone.
- It feels much lighter than the 4S. It's dramatic.
- The 4S is not slow, but the 5 is much faster. If I use a 5 too much, I won't be able to keep my 4S.
- The camera is remarkable, especially in low light conditions.
- There aren't any opportunities to test LTE networks in Tallahassee.
- This phone is a big win for international travel.
- I don't know if I like the taller screen. I'm craving a smaller iPhone, not a larger one. I am very much in the minority here.
- The color fidelity on the iPhone 5 is remarkable.
My wife has an iPhone 4, so I plan to upgrade her to the iPhone 5 when supplies get better. What about you? Did you make the jump? Are you planning to?